Saturday 9 March 2013

Letter to the Writers & Producers of Touch


Season 1 of Touch was top notch and devoid of sappy writing. The second season started on a high but I have begun to notice changes right from the fifth episode. The writers are beginning to resort to cheap tricks to prolong move the plot forward. Last week’s episode was going rather well right until the point at which Amelia was on the pier waiting for her mother only for Mrs. Norborg to arrive just in time to abduct her again. This was all too convenient for the Norborgs. It’s the kind of cheap writing that was prevalent in Passions; remember when Chad was trying to find his mother.


I discussed this cheap plot device with a colleague and he opined that there would be no need for the show to go on once Amelia, Jake & co are back together. I think there is more to Touch than the reunion of these folks; there are other story arcs. Other problems with episode 5 are why both Jake & Amelia turned out to be wrong about the future. The both ‘dreamt’ about meeting each other at Pier 29 but the opposite turned out to be the case. I thought these two were always correct. Of course this anomaly could still be explained later on.
Episode 6 was also good up until Lucy foolishly left Calvin downstairs to go upstairs for aspirin. It was obvious he was going to break free. This is what happens with cheap writing; it’s all too predictable and un-extraordinary. As if that wasn’t enough, the writers then went for the easy option of Lucy allowing Calvin to escape. I mean seriously, this is Touch. If I want a show where the plot is cheaply extended or prolonged, I’ll watch Prison Break and if I want a predictable show, I’ll watch 24

And please what on earth happened to Gugu Mbatha Raw? Her character was really good and she had become an integral part of the show and a love interest for Martin.

All in all, episode 6 was nothing but a filler episode. If there have been any changes to the writing team behind this great show, I strongly urge the studio and the powers that be to please reverse those changes because if this newfound mediocrity continues, I’ll stop watching this show. And I suspect I won’t be alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment